Monkey Gland Sauce Recipe
Monkey Gland Sauce is almost as synonymous with South African childhood memories as the steakhouses in which they were made. From Monkeygland Steaks to, Monkeygland burgers to ribs and chicken, I think the only thing we didn’t eat it on was ice cream 🙂
No monkeys are harmed making the sauce 😉
So just to clarify for my non-South African mates that might be reading this: Despite the name, the sauce does not contain any monkey glands or any other monkey parts :p
Where has my Monkey Gland Sauce gone?
Unfortunately this delicious sauce seems to have lost a little of its popularity in recent times, and you don’t see too much of it on shelves or menus anymore… so if you’ve got a MonkeyGland craving… why not try make some of your own. It’s really quite easy.
Check out the recipe & video below for a lekker homemade monkey gland sauce recipe and ingredients.
Homemade Monkey Gland Sauce
- 50 ml Sunflower Oil
- 2 medium Onion - finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic - finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Water - boiling
- 25 ml Brown Vinegar
- 25 ml Worcestershire Sauce
- 100 ml HP Sauce
- 100 ml Fruit Chutney
- 250 ml Tomato Sauce
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 pinch Chilli Powder - or Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Salt
How To Braai
- Fry up onions in the oil until it starts becoming translucent50 ml Sunflower Oil, 2 medium Onion
- Add garlic and fry for a minute or 22 cloves Garlic
- Add rest of the ingredients (Water, Vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, HP sauce, Fruit Chutney, Tomato Sauce, Brown Sugar, Chilli, Salt)1/2 cup Water, 25 ml Brown Vinegar, 25 ml Worcestershire Sauce, 100 ml HP Sauce, 100 ml Fruit Chutney, 250 ml Tomato Sauce, 2 tbsp Brown Sugar, 1 pinch Chilli Powder, 1/2 tsp Salt
- Mix it up good & proper, and let it chill out on a low heat for about 15 min, stirring occasionally.
Did you try the monkey gland sauce recipe? Or maybe you’ve got some other sauce or marinade that you haven’t tried in ages? Either way, I love hearing what you think, so please let me know in the comments below.
Please also feel free to browse my other Braai Recipes for more of my favourite braai time recipes, and also check out my online braai shop for my own sauces and/or sauces I’ve tried and fell in love with over the years, and now use in my Bistros.
Please also check out my BraaiBoy TV YouTube Channel for some videos and recipes that don’t always make their way over on to my blog over here 😉