Whenever we braai at my buddy Werner’s house, one thing you can be sure of is that someone is going to ask him to make his famous Mushroom Sauce.
A mushroom sauce recipe cheat
I’ve asked him for the recipe many times before, but he kept refusing… until now. The secret to this sauce is that it’s actually so easy to make, and the key ingredient (packet mushroom sauce) comes right off the shelf. Maybe that’s why he didn’t want to tell anyone… but either way, this sauce is a definite crowd-pleaser.
Easy Mushroom Sauce
- 100 g butter
- 2 tsp garlic - crushed
- black pepper - lots of it (to taste)
- 2 punnets mushrooms - sliced
- 2 packets mushroom sauce
- 1 L cream
How To Braai
- Sauté the mushrooms in garlic and butter.
- Add black pepper.
- Once most of moisture has dried out, add packets of mushroom sauce and mix until you have a paste.
- Tip: You’ll need to add the cream fairly soon after doing this, otherwise your ‘paste’ won’t dissolve, and you’ll end up with lumps of mushrooms in cream instead 🙂It takes a bit getting used to. If you’re struggling with this, then feel free to add the packets of sauce the the mix after you’ve added the cream.
- Add cream and bring to a boil, reduce heat, stirring frequently until sauce thickens.
Enjoy… and feel free to name your first-born after me (or Werner) 🙂
Visit the braai recipes page for more of my favourite recipes.
If you’ve got ideas how to improve on this recipe, or just want to let me know what you think of this recipe, drop me a message in the comments below or please feel free to give me a shout at any time, you’re also welcome hook up with me on twitter (@BraaiBoy) or facebook as well.