You have not eaten until you’ve eaten a braai pie. I LOVE a fresh pie (not the dodgy garage pies one tends to buy in a drunken state at 3 am) and I LOVE to braai… so how I hadn’t thought of this sooner I have no idea.
But thanks to a friend of mine, Cara, the wonder that is now the ever popular Braai Pie was born. The concept is fairly simple: you take puff pastry, fill it with meats, cheese and other bits and braai it… YUM! I’ll be posting the full recipe with some more pics in the recipe section of the site fairly soon.
Trust me folks when I say: You have to try this one!
Update: I’ve uploaded the full recipe here:
- 2 rolls Puff Pastry
- 1 bunch Spinach - not chopped or baby spinach
- 1 chicken breast
- 125 g bacon - bits
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 red and/or yellow pepper - diced
- 1 punnet mushrooms
- Cheddar Cheese - (and Mozarella) to taste
How To Braai
- Defrost the dough and roll the first one out onto the grid.Tip: do not defrost for too long in the microwave, else the dough goes soggy... your best bet is to let the dough defrost slowly on its own.Tip: use some Olive Oil or Spray & Cook on the grid before laying out the dough.
- Fry onion, bacon and peppers together, and if you're using chicken in your recipe, fry (or braai) the chicken.
- Place half of raw spinach on dough.Tip: Make sure to dry the spinach off properly before placing it on the dough. The less water/moisture you have before you start, the better.
- (Optional) I'm a HUGE fan of cheese, so I add a layer of cheese here as well, but most times you only need to top it off with cheese at the end.
- Cut chicken into pieces and place on spinach. Add onion, pepper and bacon mixture. Slice and add the mushrooms. Tip: you could opt for pre-frying the mushrooms
- Add a final layer of Cheese(s)
- Finish off with the rest of the spinachTip: The Spinach should cover the dough nicely, it helps to prevent too many juices from seeping through and getting the dough wet.
- Place the second roll of dough on top. Seal the dough (as if you are making pies).Tip: Egg wash the dough for that extra golden brown effect.
- Place it high up on the fire and turn constantly until golden brown... This is not a steak: rather turn too much than too little 🙂
Good luck, and let me know how it goes in the comments below, and please feel free to browse my Braai Recipes for more of my favourite braai time recipes.
Update: SpiceGirl and I filmed the making of a Braai Pie, you can check it out over here: Braai Pie Recipe Video
Update: There’s a DESSERT Braai Pie recipe as well!
Update: There’s a Game Braai Pie recipe I did when I visited Humdani Game Breeders!
Update: Check out the Braai Pie I did at The Fire & Feast Meat Festival!