I love cooking with beer, I love it even more when the recipe requires me to drink the beer 🙂 … remember the beer can chicken myth? Well, here’s another recipe that required me to drink the beer and use just the can… It’s called a stuffed beer can burger.
Touted as the best burger in the world by many, it’s a burger… but the cheese, mushrooms and whatever other goodness you’d like to add go on the INSIDE of the patty… and to wrap things up so to speak, some good old bacon love around the outside.
Stuffed Beer Can Burger Recipe
- 1 Beer Can
- 800 g Mince
- green pepper
- 2 Egg
- Cheese – mozzarella & cheddar
- Garnish – lettuce, onion, tomato, pickle, burger sauce
How To Braai
- Slice onions and mushrooms and then fry until soft. Add Salt & Pepper to taste.P.S. You may add the peppers here as well, but I prefer to leave mine raw.
- In a bowl, add egg to the mince and mix with your favourite spices.P.S. Bread crumbs may also be used as a binding agent, but I prefer egg.
- Separate the mince mix into 4 equal balls, and then press a hole into the middle of each using the beer can. Shape the mince around the can to form a pocket, and then slowly remove the can but twisting gently.
- Fill each meat pocket with your cooked (and uncooked) ingredients. Cheese, onions, mushrooms, peppers and some more cheese in this case.P.S. Don’t overfill, because you still need to close the pockets.
- Close the meat pockets and wrap with streaky bacon. Use toothpicks to secure the bacon for braaing.
- Optional: If you’re not cooking on indirect heat, use a lid of sorts and create some heat to get that extra crisp on the bacon.
- Once your burger has reached it’s desired ‘doneness’, remove from the fire and garnish according to taste.
I’d love to hear your comments and constructive criticism below… we can only improve if we know what we’re doing wrong… so please let us know.