If I’ve ever done a private party for you, there’s a very good chance I’ve made you a braai pie. Ever since 2010, it’s been one of my favourite recipes… but this time the savoury filling is replaced with sweet filling and this epic side-dish becomes a dessert braai pie! You HAVE TO try this… #YUM!
Check out the #BraaiBoyTV episode below where I make one, or scroll down further for the printable recipe.
Dessert Braai Pie
- 2 Rolls Puff Pastry
- 1/2 can Caramel
- 1/2 can Pears - Thinly Sliced
- 1 handful Pecan Nuts - Crushed
- 1 egg - (optional)
How To Braai
- Just like with the original braai pie, we start by defrosting the dough and roll the first one out onto the grid. Tip: do not defrost for too long in the microwave, else the dough goes soggy… your best bet is to let the dough defrost slowly on its own.Tip: use some Olive Oil or Spray & Cook on the grid before laying out the dough.
- Spread the caramel evenly over the pastry.
- Place a thin layer of pear slices over the caramel.
- Crush and sprinkle Pecan Nuts over the pears.
- Cover with the second roll of puff pastry, and seal as if you are making a pie.Tip: Egg wash the dough for that extra golden brown effect.
- Place it high up on the fire and turn constantly until golden brown… This is not a steak: rather turn too much than too little 🙂
Feel free to experiment with your own sweet fillings, and let me know how your dessert braai pie turns out.
Thanks for all the high-5’s and “loving it” comments over the last few weeks… but I’d really love to hear some constructive criticism as well… we can only improve if we know what we’re doing wrong… so please let us know in the comments below or you’re also welcome to send me a private message or even give me a shout on twitter @BraaiBoy or facebook as well.