100 months of braaing… REALLY?
Say What? 100 months of braaing… every day??? That’s Right! I’ve lit a braai (sometimes more than once a day) every day now since 17 April, 2009. What originally started off as a drunken dare back in 2009 has turned into a lifestyle, and one that I am glad to say has changed my life. One that has taken me all over the world, meeting awesome people and learning new things every day.
Don’t you get gatvol?
This is probably the one I get asked the most… Yes, there are the mild inconveniences, like braaing at 00h05 in the morning, because you’ve got a 05h00 flight leaving Las Vegas… but then I remember: “DUDE!!! YOU’RE BRAAING IN VEGAS!”. Another time I had to sneak out of hospital to go braai (fortunately my mate was the surgeon, and agreed to perform surgery at 20h00 that night just so that I could do so), but like I always tell people: We all have to eat, I’m just fortunate enough that I get to eat well every day.
How do you keep it interesting?
I’ve attempted, and broken, several Guinness World Records; Spent 4 hours braaing under water; and braaied above/on water – sneaking in a braai at 04h00 in the middle of the Mediterranean (because the cruise liner wouldn’t give me permission to do so); Braaied in a parking lot of Nashville International Airport while waiting for a connecting flight; Smoked up the streets of London (and nearly got arrested) and attended events in towns across South Africa that I didn’t even know existed. My most recent favourite being the braai I pulled off in the smoking section of the OR Tambo Spur. The stories are endless, and one day I might write a book about it… but for now I’m celebrating 100 months of braaing every day!
I’ve had a lot of help!
All of this wouldn’t be possible without YOUR support, encouragement (and crazy ideas/suggestions – the lamb testicles episode comes to mind immediately) of course… so as a way of saying thanks, I’ll be giving away some cool merch including BraaiBoy Zippos and Braaihemian Rhapsody T-Shirts every day for the rest of the month.
Celebrate with me & win cool merch:
- Share a picture/video/haiku/whatever on Facebook, twitter or Instagram depicting a “100 braai” (be as creative as you wish)
- Tag @BraaiBoy in the post and use the hastag #BraaiBoy100
- p.s. Make sure your post is public, or I won’t see it, and you won’t qualify for the prizes.
Ts & Cs:
- Enter as many times as you like on as many of the platforms as you like.
- 1 winner every day from 18 – 30 Sept 2017.
- announced the next day (unless I’ve got a hangover)
- every entry is valid for every day’s draw… e.g. entries on 18th are entered for 18th, 19th, 20th… 30th
- i.e. the sooner you enter the more chances you have.
- Winners need to have a office hours delivery address in South Africa.
- Prizes may change every day.
- I’ll announce on the day what’s up for grabs. If I’d known sooner that today marked the 100 month mark, I may have spoken to sponsors earlier, but I didn’t… so we’ll wing this one as we go along.
- Judges decision is final.
- I’m the judge, I may change my mind and/or amend as I see fit 😉
- Don’t be a doos, be lekker!